2013年1月26日土曜日

Jen reads... The Ask and the Answer

I had to slow down my reading this week, as I have an exam tomorrow and needed to study for it. In spite of that I still managed to finish this book, which just shows how gripping it was! (And how much free time I had today!!)

It didn't grab me as quickly as the first book did, and I think it does suffer from middle of the trilogy syndrome, if that's a thing, where a lot of stuff is happening which needs to happen, but doesn't quite have the pace of the first book.

But, it was good! Especially as it got towards the end and all of the earlier bits of the book where things weren't quite so exciting paid off. 


The narrative in this is split between 2 characters, which I wasn't entirely sure about at first, but I think it was a good choice :) Towards the end I occasionally got confused as to whose point of view it was supposed to be from (even though they are in different fonts, I was too wrapped up in what was happening to pay attention to the font, I guess?), but that's definitely my fault for trying to read too fast. 

It's completely different to the first book in some ways, but still pretty bleak. Even more bleak, really. I really wonder how well I would have dealt with this had I read it when I was 12 or 13... But I really liked it. There are some things which aren't explicitly said here (due to its YA ness I expect), but which are implied which just make everything all the more horrific. 

I might do a spoilery post for the series so far, as I have stuff to say which I don't want to here in case I spoil things for.. my one reader. Hi! *waves* 

Ahh, it feels so nice to be back reading again. It's been too long since I've been able to read without having to pace myself due to a lack of other English books to read. 

And now I'm going to go and eat my tea (I forgot about it in all of the reading excitement) and start the third book. Hehe. 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿