2013年7月1日月曜日

If only Bernard's watch was real...

Ahh, Bernard's Watch. That was quality TV (not sure whether it was bad quality or good quality though, hehe). I wonder if the rumours that the boy who played Bernard went to the same university as I did were actually true. I should have gone to find him!

Ahem, anyway, I'm going to stop alienating most of the people reading this and get to the point (um, not that I really have one...)

 I have been feeling a distinct lack of time recently. It's not that I don't have any free time (I do!!), it's just it's all getting used up. Too many things that I want to do, not enough time. If only work didn't keep on getting in the way. 

Recently I have been.... 

Watching (amongst other things - I haven't really talked about this on here, but I do a lot of box set watching, heh):

Breaking Bad (I started watching this ages ago, didn't see what the fuss was about then stopped... after 3 episodes. Then I realised that pretty much everyone whose opinion about things I respect said how amazing it was, so started watching it again.. and was pretty much hooked straight away. Yup, I'm stupid. Anyway, I'm trying to catch up before it comes back in August.. Not sure how feasable that is!)

The Walking Dead (One of my colleagues loves it, and I'm enjoying it so far! I'm also trying to catch up before it comes back. I have a lot longer for this one though)

Reading:

A Japanese book of short stories by Otsuichi, which is just as good as I hoped it would be. I haven't been reading that much in Japanese recently though. 


The new Murakami. Haven't got that far with it, because it's too short and I don't want it to be over. Which doesn't make any sense. But I need to read it before the translation comes out, otherwise whats the point of being able to read in Japanese?! TELL ME!

Inifinite Jest. Because I feel the need to pick stupidly challenging stuff, apparently, even though I'm very bad at actually seeing this kind of thing through. (This might explain my choice of degree... people say that Japanese is really difficult to learn?! Sign me up!!!) So far though, I'm really enjoying it! I remembered that I actually like not really getting whats going on, and then slowly seeing the pieces come together. The endnotes are insane though. INSANE! I'm glad I was somewhat prepared for reading it, knowing that some bits of it might be a slog helped me through them. I'm past page 200, which is apparently the point where you stick with it till the end. 

And that's it. Infinite Jest has so much going on and so much to keep track of that I don't want to read anything else in English in case it confuses me. 

Stuff coming up when I have time (who knows!):

Requiem - Lauren Oliver (not sure how I feel about this, so this might take a while!)

The Orphan Master's Son - Adam Johnson (again, not sure how I feel about this one either. Where have my opinions gone today?!)

The Last Girlfriend on Earth – Simon Rich (I will write about this before I forget what I thought and have to read it again to remind myself!)

Stuff that I'm almost definitely not actually going to write anything proper about:


Kūchū Buranko (Flying Trapeze) -  Hideo Okuda (It was interesting and I enjoyed it more than the first book in the series. Not sure I'm that bothered about reading the third one though. Too many other exciting things to read!)



That's it. I haven't actually been getting THAT much reading done recently, I've been kind of sick for the past week or so, boo. And my TBR list just keeps on getting longer and longer and longer and longer...

2 件のコメント:

  1. BREAKING BAD!!!! Seriously, I'm so excited you're watching it, it's my actual favourite TV show of all time (at the moment). You have... like 41 days to watch the whole thing? So that's PLENTY, obviously!

    I feel like reading Murakami in Japanese is absolutely the main point of learning it. Like, seriously. BUT WHEN WILL THE TRANSLATION BE OUT?! (It's next year, right? So not TOO long...)

    AND I own Infinite Jest but haven't even begun to think about reading it because HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIZE OF IT?! (obviously you have haha) I'm excited to hear what you think about it though :)

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Argh, I never replied to this because I fail, and you probably won't read this now as it's been a bit too long... but YEAH BREAKING BAD!!! I am almost definitely going to get through it in time, I'm averaging 2-3 episodes a day at the moment, haha.

      It's good really that they don't rush the translations out, because literary translation is something that definitely needs time to be done right. But I can imagine how frustrating it is!!

      Infinite Jest is... scary, but I'm really enjoying it so far! It's not easy to read, but having read over half of the book I'd say its worth it! I just wish that I could get through it quicker, as I have so many other things that I want to read, and trying to keep all of the characters in Infinite Jest straight in my head is stopping me from even trying to read anything longer than short stories. If I could just have a week off work and spend a few hours reading it a day I'd be happy :D Stupid work! Always getting in the way.

      削除